On this page, you’ll find resources to get you well on your way to a seamless and organized moving experience.
Resources for Moving & Organizing Your Home
Put Together a Moving Binder
Keep everything pertaining to the move in here for quick review.
Research and Book Moving Companies
- Get Recommendations
- Resarch moving companies: moving.org, mover.net
- Get in-home estimates: ensure you compare 3 – 4 companies for proper review
- Ensure proper license and insurance in place
Prepare the Home
- Declutter items no longer needed.
- Arrange to sell items via online and in person .
- Arrange donations and junk removal before pack up begins.
- Make a plan to eat or discard food in fridge and freezer.
Pickup Moving Supplies
Boxes, moving tape, packing paper, box labels, bubble wrap
Ensure boxes are properly labeled to make unpacking easier.
3. Before Moving Day
Don’t Forget the Kids and Pets
Arrange for your kids and pets out of the house on moving day, if possible.
Schedule Utilities Connection / Disconnection
A lot of this can be done online now. Check with your local provider.
Book the Elevator
Moving to a condo or apartment building? This step is crucial.
Update Your New Address
Canada Post mail forward, as well as a direct update to banks, doctor’s and utilities.
4. On Moving Day
Take Time Off Work
At minimum, you will need to be onsite to oversee the moving day.
Pack a Travel Bag
Ensure the essentials you’ll need the first night are easy to access.
Schedule Services & Trades
Cable/internet, hydro, handyman for odd jobs. Ensure they are booked in advance.
Experts at Organizing
The Moving Genie
Is Here to Help
Whether you’re planning to move, planning to reorganize, downsizing, or more and we’ll be happy to help you take your first step toward a beautifully organized home.